This soup is sometimes referred to as Swiss Onion Soup which is fine by me too. I loved this soup and so did our guests! It is a creamy delicious comfort food and I will definitely be making it again. My brother-in-law asked me to make it again the next day so he could have some at home!
- 6 tablespoons butter divided
- 3 large onion thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 1 ¾ cups of milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup Swiss cheese divided
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Plug in your crockpot and add your broth ½ cup of Swiss cheese and 3 tablespoons of butter.
- In saucepan melt 3 tablespoons of butter, sauté onions and sprinkle with pepper, sauté until browned.
- In a small bowl mix together flour and 1 cup of milk.
- Add in your flour mixture to your onions and remainder of your milk as well as water and remainder of Swiss cheese, mix so all ingredients combine and bring to a slow boil.
- Add all ingredients to the crockpot and cook on low for 2 hours. (You can also finish your soup on the stove but I like to use my crock pot for easy serving and a set it and forget it ability)
Serve and top your soup with croutons and salt and pepper to taste. You can also top with some more Swiss if you feel so inclined! We had this soup on the side because we had people over and grilled some steaks and went all out! This soup was the perfect starter and really made a great impression!