One night Jake and I got a huge hankering for Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches. We were going to order from Taste Of Philly which is pretty popular and delicious in Colorado. Instead I remembered we had some steak that needed to be cooked- you will see below in the picture I have two types of steak, bottom round and a skirt steak- you of course can pick and choose which cut you prefer. Anyway I took upon the task to make my own delicious sandwiches and be able to enjoy them just the way I like it! Let me tell you, the odds of us ordering again are slim to none because not only is this recipe so easy but it is inexpensive- especially if you use bottom round steak.
- 1 ½ small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- salt, pepper for seasoning
- 1 and 1/4 pounds top sirloin steak (you can see I have two different cuts- skirt and round. Totally up to you!)
- 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable or canola oil
- 4 rolls- I used hot dog buns because it is what we had left over but you may want to use hoagie rolls
- Cheese-Whiz amount to your liking
- Mayo- also optional
- When you’re ready to start cooking, pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook veggies half way through. I like to put in the onions first for about 2 minutes and then add the peppers so they keep their crisp
- While the veggies are cooking slice your steak (trick to the trade freeze your steak for about 20 min before for easy slicing)
- Next add your sliced beef to the partially cooked veggies- I like to do this all in one pan so that the flavors really meld together. ( you can also cook this in batches so you don’t over crowd and end up steaming your beef) This will cook for about 7 minutes or until cooked through.
- Season your mixture with salt and pepper to taste
- While your veggie and beef mixture cook place rolls in the oven to toast up to your liking.
- If using Cheese-Whiz melt some in the microwave until creamy
- Remove rolls from the oven and add a little mayo if you would like
- Divide the meat among the 4 hoagie rolls.
- Top with the creamy cheese to taste
This recipe could serve about 4 people easily, as always Jake and I had them for lunch the next day!
I hope you enjoy! Salud!
Nutrition per serving:
Protein: 9 g